This Smoked Chicken Kiev recipe is a flavorful twist on the classic dish that combines the delicious taste of smoked chicken with a buttery garlic filling.
What is Smoked Chicken Kiev?
Smoked Chicken Kiev is a variation of the classic Chicken Kiev dish that involves smoking the chicken instead of baking it. The smoking process adds a unique flavour to the chicken that complements the rich and buttery garlic filling.
How to Make Smoked Chicken Kiev
Making smoked chicken Kiev is a simple process that involves smoking the chicken breasts before stuffing and breading them.
- 4 skin-off, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Garlic Goals by Low n Slow Basics
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup Atomic Chicken Southern Fried Chicken Coating
- 1/4 cup panic breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Smoking Wood
- Preheat your smoker to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, mix together the minced garlic, Garlic Goals by Low n Slow Basics, softened butter, parsley, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Use a meat mallet (or your fist) to pound the chicken breasts until they are an even thickness.
- Spread the garlic butter mixture onto one side of each chicken breast, leaving a small gap around the edges.
- Roll up the chicken breasts and secure with toothpicks.
- Dip the chicken breasts in flour, then egg, and finally a mix of the Atomic Chicken Southern Fried Chicken Coating and panko breadcrumbs, making sure to coat them evenly.
- Place the chicken breasts on a rack and smoke with wood chunks hours until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the toothpicks before serving.
Tips for Serving Smoked Chicken Kiev
- Serve the smoked chicken Kiev with a side of mashed potatoes and vegetables for a classic combination.
- Consider adding some additional herbs or spices to the garlic butter mixture for extra flavor.
- Experiment with different types of wood chips to achieve different smoky flavors.
- Make sure the chicken breasts are evenly pounded so they cook evenly.
- Don't overstuff the chicken breasts, as this can cause the filling to leak out during cooking.
- Can I use a gas grill instead of a smoker to make smoked chicken Kiev?
- Yes, you can use a gas grill to smoke the chicken, but you'll need to use a smoker box or wrap the wood chips in foil and poke holes in it to allow smoke to escape.
- What are some good wood chips to use for smoking chicken Kiev?
- Apple, hickory, mesquite, and cherry wood chips are all great options for smoking chicken Kiev.
- Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts for this recipe?
- Yes, you can use chicken thighs if you prefer, but the cooking time may need to be adjusted. Thighs also have a higher fat content, which can affect the flavor and texture of the dish.
- Can I prepare the smoked chicken Kiev in advance?
- Yes, you can prepare the chicken breasts up to the breading stage and store them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before smoking.
- Can I freeze the smoked chicken Kiev?
- Yes, you can freeze the smoked chicken Kiev after it has been cooked. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn.