Are you looking for a delicious and versatile condiment to add to your BBQ dishes? Look no further than BBQ cheese sauce! This tangy and creamy sauce is the perfect addition to burgers, hot dogs, fries, and more. In this article, we will explore everything you need to know about BBQ cheese sauce, including its history, ingredients, and recipes.
What is BBQ Cheese Sauce?
BBQ cheese sauce is a creamy and tangy condiment that is commonly served with BBQ dishes. It is made from a combination of melted cheese and BBQ sauce, and may also include other ingredients such as sour cream, mayonnaise, or spices.
The History of BBQ Cheese Sauce
The origin of BBQ cheese sauce is somewhat unclear, but it is believed to have originated in the southern United States. The first recorded use of cheese sauce dates back to the early 1900s, when it was commonly served with vegetables and other dishes. Over time, the addition of BBQ sauce to cheese sauce became popular, and it is now a staple condiment for BBQ dishes.
The ingredients for BBQ cheese sauce vary depending on the recipe, but typically include the following:
Cheese: Cheddar cheese is the most commonly used cheese for BBQ cheese sauce, but other types of cheese such as Monterey Jack, Colby, or Pepper Jack can also be used.
BBQ sauce: Any type of BBQ sauce can be used, but a smoky or spicy BBQ sauce is recommended for the best flavor.
Sour cream: Sour cream adds tanginess and creaminess to the sauce.
Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise adds richness and creaminess to the sauce.
Spices: Spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, or cayenne pepper can be added for extra flavour - Garlic Goals by Low n Slow Basics is perfect
How to Make BBQ Cheese Sauce
Making BBQ cheese sauce is easy and only requires a few ingredients. Here is a simple recipe for BBQ cheese sauce:
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce we recommend Blues Hog
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Low n Slow Basics Garlic Goals
- In a medium saucepan, combine the shredded cheese, BBQ sauce, sour cream, and mayonnaise.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the Low n Slow Basics Garlic Goals rub and stir to combine.
- Serve warm with your favorite BBQ dishes.
Ways to Use BBQ Cheese Sauce
BBQ cheese sauce is a versatile condiment that can be used in many ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Serve it as a dipping sauce for fries, onion rings, or chicken nuggets.
- Use it as a topping for burgers, hot dogs, or BBQ sandwiches.
- Drizzle it over grilled vegetables such as corn, asparagus, or zucchini.
- Use it as a base for nachos or loaded fries.
- Add it to macaroni and cheese for a smoky and tangy twist.
- Is BBQ cheese sauce gluten-free? It depends on the ingredients used. Check the labels of the BBQ sauce, sour cream, and mayonnaise to ensure they are gluten-free - BBQ sauces by Blues Hog are Gluten Free
- Can I use a different type of cheese? Yes, you can use any type of cheese you prefer. Just be sure to adjust the amount of cheese and BBQ sauce accordingly.
- Can I make BBQ cheese sauce ahead of time? Yes, you can make BBQ cheese sauce ahead of time. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and reheat it on the stove or in the microwave before serving.
- Can I freeze BBQ cheese sauce? While it is possible to freeze BBQ cheese sauce, it may change the texture and flavour. It is best to make it fresh and store it in the refrigerator.
- Can I adjust the spice level? Yes, you can adjust the spice level by adding more or less of the spices or using a different type of BBQ sauce.
BBQ cheese sauce is a delicious and versatile condiment that can elevate any BBQ dish. With its tangy and creamy flavor, it is sure to become a new favorite in your condiment lineup. Whether you use it as a dipping sauce, topping, or base, BBQ cheese sauce is sure to impress your guests and add an extra kick to your dishes. So, fire up the grill and give this tasty condiment a try!